E-2 treaty investor visa

E-2 Investment Visa.png

Thanks for finding us – What is next?

As a busy entrepreneur, we appreciate you taking the time to visit B&A Immigration’s website, regarding your   E-2 Investment Visa questions. We provide some introductory information below, but would be more than happy to answer your questions over the telephone, or via email, and entirely complimentary.

B&A Immigration understands our corporate clients, and that their time is precious. We pride ourselves in efficiently and concisely advising our prospective and existing clients on both E-2 eligibility and the next steps forward.

As the E-2 company registration application is filed at the US Embassy in London, it is highly beneficial that our US lawyers are based here in the UK. We are extremely familiar with the consulate in London, and will ensure the process runs as smoothly and efficiently as possible for our clients.

The Consultation

During our telephone consultation we will discuss the details of your business, determine eligibility, and discuss the concrete next steps to be taken in the process. We can also offer alternative visa options if the E-2 visa is not appropriate. We will ensure that you leave the consultation knowing what the next steps are, so that you can embark on your new and successful business in the US.

We invite you to contact our office by filling in the form, emailing info@baimmigrationlaw.com or calling +44 (0)203 102 7966 to arrange a consultation with one of our experienced US Immigration Lawyers.

What is the E-2 Visa for?

 Treaty Investor visas (E-2) are for nationals of a country with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of friendship, commerce and navigation, who wish to go to the U.S. for one of two purposes:

  • To carry on substantial trade, principally between the United States and the treaty country (E-1); or
  • To develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the national has invested or is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital (E-2).

 The U.S. Embassy in London has seen a dramatic increase in the number of applications for E-2 visas in the last decade. One cause of this increase has been the strength of the pound against the dollar and another has been the growth in value of U.K. real estate.

The Treaty

The United States and the United Kingdom have maintained a treaty of commerce and navigation since 1815. In order to be covered by it, citizens of the U.K.  must own at least 50% of the business and must actively develop and direct that business. In addition, in order to be eligible for the E visas, U.K. applicants must reside in the British Isles.

Investors and Employees

Both owners and employees of treaty trader and treaty investor businesses receive the same kind of visa (E-1 or E-2); the law makes no distinction between them. Investors and employees, however, go through different processes to get their visas.

Length of Visa

The maximum length for which an E-1 or E-2 visa can be issued to a citizen of the United Kingdom is 5 years. In London, trends show that the first E-1 or E-2 is usually issued for two years, but is renewable provided the investment or trade continues to meet all applicable requirements of U.S. immigration laws and regulations.

Proper Use of B1/B2 Visas and Visa-Waiver (ESTA) Travel for Investors:

Potential investors may seek out investment opportunities, sign contracts, and take other steps to purchase or establish a business while traveling on B1/B2 status or on the Visa Waiver Program. However, applicants may not develop and direct a business while in such status.

Please email info@baimmigrationlaw.com for more information on qualifying for an E-2 treaty investor visa and other visa options.

Free inquiry

Enter details below or call

+44 (0)203 102 7966

Name *