Green card through family (Legal Permanent Residency)
Immediate relatives of US Citizens and certain relatives of Legal Permanent Residents are eligible for green cards.
- First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. (Adult means 21 or older)
- Second Preference (2A): Spouses of green card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents
- Second Preference (2B): Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents
- Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
- Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens
Please see Visa Bulletin for August 2014:
Family of US Citizens
- Parents; and
Once a US citizen files the I-130 Petition for their spouse, they are eligible to apply for a nonimmigrant K-3 visa. This will entitle them to come to the US to live and work while the visa petition is pending.
Family of Permanent Residents (Green Card Holders)
- Unmarried children under 21; and
- Unmarried son or daughter of any age