Vocational Students M-1.png


M-1 Vocational Student Visa


If you wish to pursue a course of full-time study which is not principally academic in nature and at an established vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, such as a post-secondary vocational or business school, you will require an M-1 visa.  Full-time study is defined as a minimum of 18 hours of study per week.

Length of Visa

The holder of a student M-1 visa may enter the United States up to 30 days before the designated registration date on the I-20M. The holder of an M-1 visa may remain in the United States for the period of time it will take to complete the course of study as indicated on the I-20M plus 30 days, or for one year, whichever is less. An M-1 visa also entitles the holder to engage in practical training or related temporary employment upon completion of their course.


Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (M-2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the U.S. An accompanying spouse cannot accept employment or engage in study without obtaining an appropriate work or student visa, but accompanying children are entitled to attend primary and secondary school in the US.


Free inquiry

Enter details below or call

+44 (0)203 102 7966

Name *